Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Grocery Shopping

I grocery shop a little different than most people. I still try to keep the rule of thumb of $2 per person a day that Crystal Paine gives on http://www.moneysavingmom.com/ Every other month I go to Sam's club. Every three months I order from Breadbeckers, a food co-op(http://www.breadbeckers.com/) in addition to our weekly shopping trips. I make our bread, cookies, cakes, muffins, pancakes, tortillas, pizza dough, cinnamon rolls, etc from scratch. I use freshly ground whole wheat flour. I order our wheat, oatmeal, and brown rice in 6 gal buckets from Breadbeckers. I also order many other things from there. I buy yeast, dried fruit, butter, and other staples from Sam's. I don't buy meat weekly. I only purchase it when it is marked down and then I stock up. We have 6 people at my house. The youngest (1 month old) doesn't eat from the table so our budget equals $70 a week to feed my family. We spend $50 weekly, $100 every three months at breadbeckers, and $100 at Sam's every other month. Dividing up the totals into weeks we spend $8.30 weekly for breadbeckers and $12.50 weekly at Sams which equals $70.80. That's close enough to our budget for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment